Jonathon wrote:
Peter Flynn wrote:

But someone has to program the filters.

I'd be willing to write the filters, if somebody can point me towards
guides on how to write to output ODF. [This is an instance of where the
ODF toolkit would be helpful. I know about the OOo Utility Library ---
I'm downloading it right now.]

That's a very generous offer.

Can they be done as plugins to avoid bloating the core?

Stand alone filters are easier to write, and can do conversions in batch
mode. The "engine" of the stand alone filter could be wrapped into a
plugin, to be used from within OOo.

Yes, so long as it's moderately transparent to the naive/new OO user who "just" wants to import 32,786 CrapWriter DeLuxe 1987 files into OO :-)

I have a copy of Born's 1200pp _The File Formats Handbook_ (ITCP, 1995)
which I'm happy to donate to the project if someone will tell me where
before I give it away on bookmooch.com -- I rarely use it these days.

If nobody else volunteers to write the filters, that book would be very
useful to me.

Mail me your postal address off-list and it's yours.

Something else that will be needed, is documents to test the filters on.
  I don't know what software from the days of DOS I still have.

I suspect if you put out a plea to this list and related ones, you'd be swamped with examples :-)

///Peter
--
Peter Flynn, Webmaster  Electronic Publishing Unit, UCC Computer Centre
+353 21 490 2609        University College Cork, Ireland. [EMAIL PROTECTED]