Ain Vagula wrote:
Tim Wescott wrote:
I'm transitioning from Windows to Linux, and I'm having a problem with
OOo and the KDE desktop on Debian.

Konqueror will show files on networked file systems (via Samba), but it
prepends a "smb:" to the file name.  So if the file I'm interested in is
alice.odp on the kramden share or ralph, then Konqueror shows it as
smb://ralph/kramden/alice.odp.

OOo, unfortunately, doesn't like this.  When I try opening a file with a
name in this format I get an error: "Nonexistent object. Nonexistent
file.".

I can mount the file system manually, so that the file appears as
/ralph/kramden/alice.odp, in which case everything just goes swimmingly
-- but Debian is giving me fits with trying to make this automatic, and
besides, this means that every time I change the shares around on a
Windows machine I have to change things around in Debian.

Yes, oo.o does not support kio_smb as it exists in KDE. You may find
comfortable using a little KDE applet 'smb4k', which makes handling
Windows samba/cifs shares for KDE user a lot more easier.

ain

Thanks -- I just installed it, and it appears to be just the ticket.

I may submit an enhancement request, however, if it hasn't been done already. Since I'm trying to foist this system off on my family I want things to be as transparent as possible.