John Jason Jordan wrote:
> On Mon, 29 Jan 2007 23:25:49 -0600
> jimw wagner <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> dijo:
>
>> I've been reading this with some interest,. as I am using the "official"
>> version of OO2.1 on Ubuntu Dapper.  I've been doing a lot of editing
>> recently, and have never yet had a problem with Drag and Drop.
>
> I would love to try using the non-Ubuntu version of OOo too. But I am
> on Edgy amd64 and there is no 64-bit version of OOo 2.1, that is,
> except for a very unstable beta version.
>
> Perhaps I can install the 64-bit version of 2.04 using alien. However,
> I can't find a .deb or an .rpm file of 64-bit 2.04, so I am stuck with
> what I find in the Ubuntu repositories. That means 2.04, Ubuntu
> edition. If someone can tell me where I can find a .deb or .rpm of
> 64-bit OOo, I'd be tempted to try it.

Hi John

It is possible to install the 32-bit version (I think it was 2.0.4 when
the ubuntu was still at 2.0.2) on ubuntu-AMD-64. I had this running on
Dapper, IIRC installed in a chroot. I have since moved on to
Gentoo-AMD-64, which is able to run the 32-bit binary in a 32-bit
emulation. Gentoo is not for the faint hearted and I doubt that I would
have even tried if I had not a very able and experienced son who "held
my hand" through the sticky parts. 64-bit OOo is not available on
Gentoo, either because of the compilation problems.

Installing in a chroot is a bit of a fiddle, but if you take it
patiently not impossible. There was some good documentation in the
ubuntu or debian forums/wiki and it all ran quite satisfactorily. Try
or http://www.ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?p=1174435  for some ideas.

It is unlikely that a 64-bit version would give any major increased
functionality unless you are recalculating huge spreadsheets, as an
office program spends most of its time waiting for you to press keys,
and you are unlikely to need huge amounts of memory addressing.

HTH

Russell