On 2/3/07, Victor Chapman <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
Mark Knecht wrote:
> Hi,
>   First post here. I'm a newish Open Office user and not much of an
> Excel user. I'm looking for a function in the library that would
> return the value of the current cell, much like what I see at the top
> in the input line. I've been searching through the docs but can't seem
> to spot it. I need a specific cell in my spreadsheet to essentially
> track where ever I place my mouse.

Let me see if I understand this. For example, when you move the mouse
pointer over cell E7 you want to see the contents of that cell. If that
is the case, I don't think it can be done. I don't think the cells are
mapped as a series of "hot spots."

Hi Victor & John,
  Thanks for the responses. Sorry but I see I wasn't clear enough.
Let me write a bit more.

  I'm not looking for mouse hot spots, although that would be very
cool. In my case I have completely selected the cell either using my
keyboard or the mouse. At this point the 'Name Box' in the upper left
shows the cell's address saying 'B1' or 'C5'. What I need is that as I
move the selected cell, using the keyboard arrow keys for instance, I
will go from B1 to B2 to C3 to C4 to C5. As I make each of those steps
I need a specific cell in my spreadsheet to show me the value in the
cell I'm at as I pass through them.

  Here's the setup. I have a list of 100 stocks which gets updated
each week. In my spreadsheet I have built an array of each week's list
residing in a column with increasing weeks going to the right. For 26
weeks I have 26 columns of 100 stocks. Elsewhere in my spreadsheet I
have a cell where I can type into it an arbitrary stock symbol. Using
conditional formatting the spreadsheet then highlights every
occurrence of that stock's symbol in the array. This is great and
helps me see how each stock has been moving in the list as the weeks
progress. However, it's a bit difficult and slow since I have to
always go back to that one cell to enter a stock symbol and then have
to scroll up/down/left/right to see the whole array as this array
continues to grow to the right week after week.

  What I would like to do is to select any cell in the main array of
stocks and have the contents of that cell put in my main selection
cell, which will then cause the main array conditional formatting to
show me all the other cells with the same symbol.

  Maybe you can think of an easier way to do this?

  I hope that clarifies a bit.

Thanks very much,
Mark