On Thursday February  01 2007 3:04 am, Robert Springett wrote:
> Dear Sirs
> I am a home user and thinking of using Open Office and and not sure
> whether one can choose to spell (and perhaps grammer check) in more
> than one language. I live in France and sometimes write in English
> and sometimes in French. Would I be able to choose to spell check
> in either language? Regards
> Robert Springett

     Since language is based upon styles, you might want to learn more
about how to use them. Templates play a very important part also. If
your documents are either all French or all English, create a
template with the styles you want in it for your French documents and
another template with the styles you want for your English documents.
Create one at a time and use File > Templates > Save to place each
one in your local template's folder.
     If you have some documents with both French and English in it,
you will want to set up paragraph and possibly character styles with
the proper language selected.
     More information about styles is available in the Writer's Guide
at http://documentation.openoffice.org/manuals/oooauthors2/. I think
this information is also available from the French part of OOo:
http://fr.openoffice.org/.

Dan