From: NSP Ciudad Madero [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Sent: Thursday, February 01, 2007 1:04 PM
To: users@openoffice.org
Subject: Re: [users] Connecting OOo to a mySQL relational
databaseforaddressingan mail merge

Create a BASE database with the ODBC-mySQL connection and then create a
query with the related fields,
and access the query in writer.

The mailmerge wizard going to make a document for each record in the
query, and i think you don't want that...

You expect to create a writer document with some inserted fields updated
from the database and this is the way i was able to do it:

hit F4 to see the data sources, select the database & query you want to
access and now:
Select ONE ROW from the query

You will be able to select the button 'INSERT FIELDS FROM THE SELECTED
CURSOR TO THE DOCUMENT'
(a button from the database toolbar with a GREEN LINE selected)

It will pop a dialog window with 3 radio buttons (TABLE, FIELDS, TEXT)

TABLE will insert all the rows selected as a table, just add the columns
you want to see.
TEXT will insert the selected fields of the row as plain text.
FIELD (the desired one) will insert the selected fields of the row as
FIELD from the DATABASE.
if you see DATABASE.TABLE.FIELD_NAME instead the info in you document,
unselect "View/Field Names" in the menu.

when you finish the selection of fields on the document, to change its
content for other row:

Select other row in the database and then the button 'UPDATE THE DATA OF
THE DATABASE FIELDS with the SELECTED RECORD'

I know, it's more complicated than M$Word but the advantage is that you
can add more tables and queries in a single document :)

Saludos,
Roberto