I am using OpenOffice for MC OS x version 10.3.9. I have many documents which were created with Appleworks - they are .cwk extension files. I would like to switch to using OpenOffice's Writer, but cannot find a way to open/convert these files.

I have tried simply changing the extension, but I still lose all my formatting and get a lot of garbage characters inserted into the documents. I have the same result when I try opening them with TextEdit.

Can anyone help me with this?  Thanks in advance.