Jerry Thompson produced the following on 2/17/2007 4:08 PM:

In one file location I discovered that the attachment I was trying to open was an .dat extension.

The ".DAT" extension is often used to indicate a file containing arbitrary
"data." Some applications that have a format of their own choosing simply use
.DAT. This means that as a user, you must have your own way to figure out how to
open the file. There is no single way to open or view a .DAT file since there
can many different types of content. The best way is to ask whoever gave you the
file what application should be used to open it.

I happened to receive a call from my son whose work involves computers though
he does not use OpenOffice. He told me he thought MSWord XP would open the
file. It did, though I lost some formatting. I saved it in MSWord XP with a
.doc extension. While I was working with it, my friend re-sent the file and its parts. He said, "Jerry, after receiving your message I tried to open Chapter #12 and couldn't. Chapter #11 opened perfectly. The only difference is in "Endnotes."
I'll delete these and resend. However, there have been endnotes on several of
the previous article. A mystery for now." I had opened his other documents
beautifully even with endnotes.

I she using a special program to do the endnotes or is that ability built in to
WP?

Now when I click on the attachments he sent to open them, I get a dialog box
that says, "This file does not have a program associated with it for performing this action. Create an association in the Folder Options control panel." Previously a little box would come up listing programs (including OpenOffice) from which I could choose one to open the attachment file. I don't get that choice now. Any idea how to find and make "an association in the Folder Options control panel"? I thought we had found a way to remove the
problem? Thanks for helping, JT

You're better off saving the attachment as a file. Then you can use a variety of things to investigate and tell us what you find.