M Henri Day wrote:

> When I was using *XP* on my computer, *Word* (and to a lesser
> degree, even other apps, like Gmail) permitted me to make use
> of a little table I had prepared from the *Table de caractères
> Unicode* <http://unicode.coeurlumiere.com/> to write in certain
> graphs that weren't immediately available on my (Norwegian)
> keyboard (to write Chinese and Japanese, I used the language
> bar and the IMEs ; I now use SCIM), but to which I could gain
> access by using the Alt key and the numpad keys (with Num Lock
> *on*) to the right of the keyboard. To give an example of what
> I mean, here below an excerpt from the table :
>
> € = Alt + 0128
> ¥ = Alt + 0165
> Ç = Alt + 0199
> ç = Alt + 0231
> Ć = Alt + 0262
> ć = Alt + 0263
> Č = Alt + 0268
> č = Alt + 0269
>
> Some, like €, but by no means all of these are taken care of by
> Alt Gr +, but I should very much like to have recourse to the
> others as well directly from the keyboard, instead of having to
> open my list and cut and paste. Does anyone know if it is
> possible to arrange OO.o so that Alt + numpad keys would work
> as they do in *Windows*/*Word* ?...
>
> Henri

I use the 'compose' key to generate characters such as the
examples above.  You'll find a list on:

http://andrew.triumf.ca/iso8859-1-compose.html

On ubuntu edgy you can define which key to set as the compose key
in System - Preferences -Keyboard - Layout options.
Then tap the compose key, tap the accent you want (key defined on
the above web page, but most can be guessed and are easy to
remember) and then the character.
So,
        compose + , + C = Ç (0199)

Of course, some characters that are not character + accent won't
be covered.

--

John

[EMAIL PROTECTED]