On Sat, 24 Feb 2007 19:03:04 -0800
NoOp <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> dijo:

> > Once you have it open in an OOo Base window, click on the Tables icon
> > and it should display Test_Table. That's the part that is evidently
> > corrupt.
> >
> > If you downloaded the test_form.odt document, that is a Writer document
> > with form controls linked to New Database.odb. So the test_form.odt
> > document will complain about not finding New Database.odb.

> No, it doesn't work that way. The Base file contains an implicit link to
> the file in your '/home/jjj/documents" directory for the queries &
> forms! One needs to change the directory to point to where they have it
> stored on their own system; i.e., /home/username/whatever. Of course the
> file will "open" but you cannot connect for queries & forms unless you
> tell it the new path... at least that is what happens on my system -
> perhaps someone with Base experience can advise otherwise?

OK, you are right, at least partially. I just tested the forms and they
opened in Writer, but they were as I remember formatting them in a
Writer document. None of you would have that document, although it is
test_form that you could download. But test_form was in ~/Phonetics and
New Database.odb was in ~/. So evidently there is some link going on
between the database file and test_form, and you don't have the folders
and links.

But that makes me wonder why there must be such links. I can understand
that the Writer document (test_form) needs to know where to find the
database, but why should the database need to know about the Writer
document? What if I created a new Writer document and wanted to use the
same database for it as well? It seems logical to me that the database
file should stand independently. That it evidently does not is curious.