Adam:

First, you replied to my personal address.  This list is supported by users
of the OpenOffice.org product.  Please reply to the list so that others can
help you in your quest to use this program.

That being said, are you getting the X11 window for OpenOffice.org where
it states OpenOffice Writer - Untitled1?  In this window there is a menu bar
which starts with File and ends with Help.  This is the menu of which I
spoke in my first reply.  Clicking on File will bring up a sub menu which starts
with New and ends with Exit.  Clicking on New in this submenu will bring up a
list of document types that OpenOffice.org will work with.
If you click on the OpenOffice2.1 on the top menu of the Mac Window (the
one with the apple symbol at the left) is not the menu of which I was
speaking of.

James McKenzie