I would have to both agree and disagree with Terry on this one.
There have been huge improvements in OpenOffice since I first discovered the program around 1.1.4 when I went to Uni and all the machines ran linux. Back then it was a bit of a novelty that anything existed as a free alternative to MSOffice, and one that was compatible at that. Now for OpenOffice to compete it has to be more than just a novelty free version and in my humble opinion this is happening. I do however agree with the sentiment that whoever is in charge seems not to have a clue, but only to a certain extent. It was my belief that this being an OpenSource community project, we are somewhat in charge... Can anyone name me a complex piece of software that does not have new bugs with each release (anybody heard of Windows? MSOffice? Linux? I do believe that all these have regular updates to fix bugs old and new) as new functionality is added? There are also many examples of bugs being left in software, such as the leap year date bug in MSOffice I have read about on this forum.

Hopefully the bug filing problems will be sorted at some point and we can all help OpenOffice.org become a better program, it is a community project after all and we would all benefit.

To Pierre:

Microsoft formats are closed. As I understand it this requires a certain amount of reverse engineering for OpenOffice's programmers and so is not a precise art. My best advice would be to keep the file in the native ODF format until you need to share it with somebody who does not have OpenOffice. If the file contains complex elements they may not translate perfectly in Word format. If the person you are sharing the file with is willing, then they can install a plug-in on their computer that will enable them to read ODF files <http:// sourceforge.net/projects/odf-converter> There is also a tool within that which allows you to convert a number of files at one time (batch). The conversion may or may not be better that OpenOffice's attempt.

Finally with the prevalence of broadband and increasing capabilities of computer hardware, I would not be too concerned about the size of your PDF. You may be able to change some settings in the dialogue you get such as reducing the quality of the pictures.

Sorry to go on and on, but I hope some of this has been of use

Tom