2007/3/4, Harold Fuchs <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>:

My point was that there seems to have been a whole debate about how RE's
don't work when replacing apostrophes, but (a) they do and (b) replacing
them doesn't require REs except under unusual circumstances.

What's your point?

--
Harold Fuchs
London, England

I don't know if there is some kind of point in my case, I just didn't see
the debate. Maybe it is because I am not very good with the English
language, or maybe I look differently at the situation. To me it seemed like
the OP asked how to get rid of the ' when it appeared as the first character
in a cell, because ordinary search & replace couldn't find it. Someone
mentioned regular expressions, which seemed to work for everyone: Just
replace the contents of all cells in a range with their original content,
and it worked since ' is not recognized if it's the first character:

Search for .*
Replace with &
Regular expressions: On

Someone also pointed out that this also works:

Search for .
Replace with &
Regular expressions: On

Another person pointed out that an issue has been closed concerning this
"problem". Obviously this behaviour is not a bug and there is a way to get
rid of the leading '.

As far as I can see, no one said anything about that there should be a
problem to find a ', unless it's the first character in a cell. Someone used
the search & replace settings mentioned above for a few strings: '123, 4'56,
Abc' and "789. Only '123 was changed, which was expected for everyone.

The only debate I could see was wether it is a bug, that regular expressions
are needed to find a leading '. Some people thought it was a bug that the
leading ' couldn't be found without involving regular expressions.

I don't know if this is a point or not, but that's what the situation looked
like from my point of view.

Maybe I just missed some parts of the "debate", even though I re-read all
posts in this thread, trying to find that debate, I don't know.

Sorry for being somewhat out of topic here. =)
I hope I didn't offend someone, that was not my intention anyway.

Johnny Andersson