James:

I have to side with you on this.  First, signatures should be short and
informative.  "God Bless" and a name is good.  I have a long signature as
I explain the purpose of this list and will attempt to shorten it in the
near future.  Adding your purpose and address is fine for business purposes
and should be excused for first time posters.  Absolutely NO images and other
'fancy' stuff.  You can send pictures to your buddies, friends and family, but
this could be considered an attempt to violate security at some of the companies
I've worked with (they remove ALL attachments, automatically.)
So what do I do?  Well first, put your signature on a separate line after
putting in
two dashes and then a space.  (-- ) This will prevent getting your own
signature back.
Second, keep it short and simple.  Enough said about this.  Third, if you have
a strong belief in God, Jesus Christ or any other deity, think about what the
other
end will see.  Will they see a 'Happy Christian' or a Zealot?  Saying 'God Bless
and have a Nice Day' does more than pasting in a massive unremovable picture of
your Church.  Now for those who find this offensive, please read the message,
and
try to see things on the other side.  If it is a happy message, take it that
way.
If it is a massive picture, send a PRIVATE message to the sender letting them
know
that you found the picture in bad taste and as a waste of bandwidth.  If you
think
first and know that you are sending to a mailing list read around the world
where
some folks pay by the byte (yes, Virginia there are places like this) you would
keep
messages short and to the point.  I put a warning in the message subject that
this will
be lengthy but necessary.
BTW, I have served in the following capacities:
BBS Sysop
BBS Area Coordinator
FidoNet List Moderator
Yes, I've been around a while....
So, I will bring up two things:  One, try not to be offensive.  Two, try not
to be offended.
Now, let's get back to helping users with problems with using OpenOffice.org.
James McKenzie