On 03/07/2007 09:30 AM, Dan Lewis wrote:
> On Wednesday March  07 2007 9:11 am, David Allan wrote:
>> I am using OpenOffice.org2.1, my problem is:
>>
>> I am getting a message telling me:
>>
>> Either another instance of OpenOffice.org is accessing your
>> personla settings or they are locked. Simultaneous access can lead
>> to inconsistencies in you personal settings. Before continiung, you
>> should make sure user "closes OpenOffice,org ion host".
>>
>> Please tell me how to do this asap, as I urgently ned to access it
>> but do not want to cause any inconsistencies.
>>
>> Thank you
>>
>> David Allan
>
>      The first thing I would do is close OpenOffice.org and
> Quickstarter (icon in the System tray on Windows). Then I would
> reboot the computer. This should clear up the problem. If it does not
> search for a *.lck file. Remove any that are found in your
> OpenOffice.org folders. This should solve the problem.
>
> Dan

Or perhaps:

Ctrl-Alt-Del and clear them from the task manager.? Shouldn't need to
reboot.

BTW: In both OOo and Mozilla (Windows versions) there are these
QuickStarters that seem to be the frequent cause of errors. I'm not sure
what they accomplish; when I use OOo or Mozilla (SeaMonkey etc) on
Windows I learned long ago to just not implement the quickstart
"features". Seems to me that they cause more problems than they are
worth. Then again... I'm going to be 54 this month, use very old
computers to troubleshooot very fast ones, and perhaps I just have more
patience than some :-) I've not timed how much faster a quickstart
feature provides, but it seems to me that waiting a second or two for a
program to open on first instance isn't such a big deal.