On Thursday March  08 2007 4:37 am, Robert Gott wrote:
> Dear Dan,
>
> Thanks for your reply. As you may have guessed I've just been using
> OO 2.1 for a few weeks. I'll try to explain the predicament in some
> more detail.
>
> As I said, I write novels usually about 115,000 words. I use 16 pt
> chapter headings, my standard page margins, header & footer etc,
> and tab the first chapter text at line 6. So far so good.
>
> Once written I usually print an A4 single spaced manuscript for my
> own use and selected readers. Just before printing I need to both
> paginate and to ensure that the pages are set out correctly. IE For
> example that a sentence or chapter does not break half way into the
>
> This feature of knowing line and column number is VERY usefull in
> WORD and would be handy in OO. Hope this helps?
>
> Cheers
>
> Robert

     It seems to me that the proper use of styles will provide you
with what you need and perhaps more. Page breaks at the end of each
chapter should also help.
     For example, you can set the chapter heading style to be a
specific distance from the top of the page. In addition, you can set
many other formatting including font, font type, size of font,
alignment, distance to the first paragraph, style of the first
paragraph, among other things. All these things can be done from the
tabs in the heading style.
     You can be just as specific with the paragraph styles, page
styles, and character styles. Furthermore, you can modify a
particular style you are using, and it modifies everything to which
that style has been applied. For example, you can change the page
size to A4 in your page style, and all of the pages will become A4.
With a page break at the end of each chapter, the next chapter's
title will be where it belongs: "line 3, centered".
     Styles are explained in two chapters of the Writer Guide
available at
http://documentation.openoffice.org/manuals/oooauthors2/. You might
be surprised what you can do with styles.

Dan