T E Schmitz wrote:

> TerryJ wrote:
>>

>> T E Schmitz wrote:
>>
>>>I have a spreadsheet with 3 columns (DATE, HIGH, LOW).
>>>
>>>For each row I want to search the LOW column upwards in order to find
>>>the first value for which
>>>x[n-i] <= x[n] - 5
>>>
>>>I am looking for
>>>a) the difference DATE[n] - DATE[n-i]
>>>b) the difference between x[n] and the highest HIGH value in rows n to
n-i

>>>Date High    Low
>>>28/02/07 6286 6166
>>

>> I don't altogether follow but, for a similar situation, I use database
>> functions.  My date column is in ascending order so I use DMAX to find
>> the
>> last price at which a stock traded.  For example:
>
> Well spotted, my date are stock prices, too, imported in descending
> order from yahoo. As an aside: it would probably be easier importing the
> data into an SQL database as that could be done via script.
>
> Of course, I could re-sort the data to have them in ascending order,
> which would probably solve my lookup problem.
>
>> =VLOOKUP(DMAX(StockDayTable;"DATE";critVol);StockDayTable;5;0) .  critVol
>> is
>> the criterion range:
>
> Many thanks for your input.
>
> --
>
> Regards,
>
> Tarlika Elisabeth Schmitz

If my tables were in date descending order, I would use DMIN in the first
formula.  I'm too lazy to try to work out what your formulas might do but
the sort order may not matter.  I use ascending order because my method was
based originally on manual records and because I would have to insert a new
row above the tables to insert new data.  I use script to update my files
but I don't want to put any more strain on the software than necessary.