OK, this helped me to get X11 installed and configured according to the instructions. But I am still having the same problem. When I double click on the download file, I get the same error message, that the disc image failed to mount, Reason not recognized.

I downloaded the file with Mozilla 1.7.3. Do I need to use a newer browser to download it? Do I need to install from a CD instead of a download? Any help will be appreciated.

Steve

On Mar 10, 2007, at 8:39 AM, James Mckenzie wrote:

Steve:

You are following the procedure except you MUST be logged in
as a user with administrative priviledges.  I'm assuming that
you have such a user and know that you have access to this user
as you installed X11 and OpenOffice.org.  However, it possible
to install these products and NOT be logged in as that user.
To make the change to remove X11 you have to be logged in as that
user.

James McKenzie

-----Original Message-----
From: "Steven E. McLaskey" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Sent: Mar 9, 2007 8:54 PM
To: users@openoffice.org
Subject: [users] installing open office on a Mac

I have downloaded Open Office as file OOo_2.1.0_MacOsXPPC_install_en-
US.dmg. When I double click on the icon for this file I get an error
message that says: Warning The following disk image failed to mount.
Reason  not recognized.

I have an iMac PPC. It was running OSX 10.3.9 when I downloaded Open
Office and tried to install it the first time and got this error
message. Since then I have installed OSX 10.4.2 and X11 from the
install disc. I have launched and configured X11 as instructed in
Howto_OOo_2.0_MacOSX_english.pdf, except that I was not able to
complete section 1.6 in this instruction on How to get rid of the
Xterm that starts without asking. When I typed in the instructed
command line and pressed return I was asked for a password. I typed
in the password that I use for everything else on this computer, but
it was not accepted.

When I type in X -version in the xterm window I get: XFree86 Version
4.4.0 / X Window System

I downloaded Open Office again, the version for OSX 10.4 Tiger, and I
get the same error message when I double click on the download file.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Steve