On 20/03/2007, at 11:13 PM, Adrian Try wrote:

Adrian, I didn't "pick up on" the styles I mentioned. I invented the names
for purposes of this conversation.

However, they are easy enough to create. I just wish someone could tell us how to invoke them as per the OP's requirements. Or perhaps I'm on the wrong
track entirely ???

I've just noticed the Format / Autoformat feature. I remember playing with that some years ago.

It contains some patterns of alternating colours of rows, and it looks like you can create your own autoformat, too.

This looks like the best hope of achieving what Elliot is asking for.

There is a topic on the OOo knowledgebase that explains how this is done and gives references to other examples.
Do a search for "style function" and it should be the first answer.

Regards
Jonathon