shannon luff wrote:
I possibly will have a job working at home for my neighbor and would need ( she
said MSoffice mainly for excel, word and also access). I downloaded open office
and I am new at spreadsheets and such. My neighbor's business uses MS office so
what I need to know is does Open Office both read and write ms office. If it
does that would be wonderful. Thank you for your time.
OpenOffice (OO) is not 100% compatible with MS Office mainly because a lot of how MS Office does things has not been published by Microsoft so other office suites can't emulate it. However, OO will read and write all but the most complex Excel and Word documents. OO will either save documents in MS format or send documents (via e-mail) in MS format without saving that version on your computer (you save the OO format). If your neighbour only needs to be able to read/print your documents, as opposed to being able to change them, then you can tell OO to save (or send) your documents in PDF format which is pretty much universal. For some weird reason, saving in MS format is under "Save as" but saving as PDF is under "Export". Sending directly is under "Send" in both cases.

One major area of incompatibility is "macros". OO can't process MS macros and MS can't process OO macros.

OO can also connect to an MS Access database using the component named "Base".

--
Harold Fuchs
London, England