2007/3/24, Tom Chilton <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>:

Hi,

I'm sure there is an answer to your problem and no doubt somebody on
this list will help you sort it out.
In the meanwhile I know that these things often come with a sense of
urgency!
If so try NeoOffice (www.neooffice.org).
It is built on the same code as OpenOffice but looks nicer. It will
run slightly slower than OpenOffice but hopefully it will sort out
your powerpoint problems.

Hope this helps
Tom
(oh and by the way a new version of OpenOffice (2.2) will be out
very soon and this might also solve the problem)

On 23 Mar 2007, at 19:52, [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

> I have an imac Intel Core Duo.
> OS X Tiger 10.4.? (I'm not at home at my computer)
> I'm using OOo 2.1.
> I am a neophyte with OOo.
> I started with a Powerpoint file.
> I opened it in OOo on my imac so that I can make changes.
> When I try to save it as a Powerpoint file, OOo crashes and I'm
> prompted to
> recover the file.
> I have successfully saved it as an OOo file.
> I need it as a Powerpoint file to sync it to my PDA.
> I checked the user maillist and couldn't find a solution for OOo 2.1.
> I admit to being a neophyte to maillists as well and may not have
> searched it
> adequately.
>

> Thanks
> Eddie

Hello Eddie

OpenOffice.org version 2.1 om Mac crashing when you try to save a
presentation in Powerpoint (ppt) format is unfortunately a known issue...
I think you have two options:
• downloading NeoOffice as Tom suggests. I'm not particularly fond of
NeoOffice, a 'fork' based on OOo's source code, but more 'native' on the
Mac, since you don't need the X11 windowing program, and also because it
uses the topleft Apple menu you're used to. It is based on a previous
version of OOo. There was another discussion on NO vs OOo on the discuss
list, and one here on the users list... so I won't go into that now.
Advantage of NO is that it probably wont crash when you save a ppt.

• version 2.2 of the 'main' OOo for Mac is waiting to be released (March
28th?), but the so-called 'unstable' version is already available, and I
tried it out with your problem: it works as it should.
You can download the Release Candidate 3 from
ftp://ooopackages.good-day.net/pub/OpenOffice.org/MacOSX/2.2.0rc3_20070306
choose your Intel_install_ and your preferred language
Now that I check it, I see there's also the RC4 that should be even better
and more stable:
ftp://ooopackages.good-day.net/pub/OpenOffice.org/MacOSX/2.2.0rc4_20070323

Whatever immediate solution you chose, don't forget to keep an eye on the
mac porting pages, because before long a native Aqua version of
OpenOffice.org for Mac will be announced. That will combine the best of both
worlds, OOo's and Apple's.

Good luck
--
Guy
using dutch OOo 2.2 RC 3 on a iMac Intel DualCore Tiger