Forward to OP

On 27 Mar 2007, at 11:53, Johnny Andersson wrote:

2007/3/26, Roger and Marion <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>:

Hi,

My husband has just bought a new laptop and we still haven't been able to get it connected to the internet. It has Microsoft Vista. I have Microsoft XP and have windows 2003. We can't download my 2003 software on his new laptop. We have bought the open office suite for my husband's computer and
it has been successfully downloaded onto the laptop.

We have written a document, in writer, and need to send it via the
internet
to a user who only has Microsoft Word. She cannot open our document in
Word
as it doesn't recognize Open office. If open office is compatible with Microsoft office, why is this happening, and is there anything to be done
about it?

If the answer to the last question is no, how do we get our money back as
it
says in the ad," money back if not satisfied."?

Regards Marion and Roger Llewellyn Smith

1. Money back if not satisfied with what? The laptop? OpenOffice.org?
OpenOffice.org is usually free, so there should
not be any money to get back. If someone sold OpenOffice.org to you, which
is not illegal to do, I guess you should talk to them.

2. OpenOffice.org Writer is compatible with the MS Word doc
format among other formats (if the document is not too complex, and the Word
VB macros won't work). However MS Word is NOT compatible at all
with the international standard "OpenDocument", that OpenOffice.org use.
This means that you have to save your document in the Word doc format if a Word user is supposed to be able to open and edit the document. You can do that in a few different ways. There is a way to make OpenOffice.org to save in doc format as default, look at Tools->Options->OpenOffice.org Writer, I think you will find it there, somewhere. Another way to do it is File- >Save As…->Select the format you wish to save in (in this case MS Word 97/2000/XP
or something like that.

Here are a few solutions for your problem so the MS Word user can read your
documents:

1. Save your documents in the MS Word doc format, as described above. The document will probably not look exactly like the original you created, but
it will be close, at least for simple documents.

2. If the user is not supposed to edit the document, export it as PDF
instead. There is also an Export and send email option somewhere. Then the document will look exactly as you created it, at least it always does for me. The MS Word user then needs software for reading PDF files. Adobe Reader
is free and there are more free PDF readers out there as well.

3. Ask the user if downloading OpenOffice.org is an option for him/ her. It's free so it won't cost anything. However it will take quite a few hours to
download if the user has a dial-up connection, but who has these days?

4. There are a few more office suites and word processors out there (free,
some of them Open Source) that supports the international OpenDocument
format. Take a look at
here<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ List_of_applications_supporting_OpenDocument#Word_processors>for
a list of word processors that supports OpenDocument more or less.
Maybe
there is something that the user can download to be able to handle your
documents.

5. There are also free converters and filters out there for conversion from OpenDocument to MS Word doc format, that the user could download to be able
to convert your documents and then edit them with word.

Regards

Johnny Andersson