On 4/6/07, Cor Nouws <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
Hi Chris,

Chris Cioffi wrote:

> So, given that Thunderbird is an inferior tool for serious business why
> would you promote it?  And, given the glaring omission of a PIM in OOo
> right now, why should a business choose it?

While waiting for OOo 3.0, in some situations the Exchange-Outlook
combination is kept.
Futhermore companies use GroupWise, Evolution, Covide, ....

But you are right: not for all situations a switch is easy.

That was my ultimate point.  And let's be honest, the client piece is
the easy bit, the server side is tough.  I know that over the last 2-3
years some real alternatives have come on the market and I think the
climate for wresting control from Exchange is a real possibility.

I don't know if the issue today is that the alternatives (Evolution,
Covide, etc.) aren't yet feature mature or if it's a marketing issue.
I suspect that it's a combination.

And while cost is always a factor, if I can pay $300/seat and have the
functionality I need that's far better than $0/seat, but not being
able to get stuff done.  Cobbling together multiple cheap/free
products can turn out to be more expensive than just buying an
expensive solution up front.

I do look forward to the PIM.  I think OOo is really, really close to
being enterprise ready and it's amazing to see how far its come since
the StarOffice days.  I think over the next year or 2 we'll see far
more adoption.  Just a few more key pieces and this puzzle will be
complete.  :)

Chris

Chris