Yes, you can probably do that.

A few minutes ago I created a short Word document with OpenOffice.org Writer
2.2, just to see if there is anything in the resulting doc file that
indicates that the file was created with OpenOffice.org. I checked the file
with a hex editor (a program that allows me to see every byte in a file) and
I couldn't find anything that indicated that.

So the teacher can probably not see that it wasn't created with Word, at
least I couldn't.
If you decide to use OpenOffice.org for your reports, I have a few things
that I guess you should know:
1. If you must use doc or rtf, use doc.
2. Even if you save as doc, the file won't look exactly the same in Word as
it does in OpenOffice.org, at least not if you include tables, pictures and
things like that. Therefor, keep your reports as simple as possible.
3. You can download WordViewer for free
here<http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?familyid=95e24c87-8732-48d5-8689-ab826e7b8fdf&displaylang=en>.
Word viewer allows you to view Word files, but not to edit them. This way,
you can check your report after created them in OpenOffice.org. If it
doesn't look as you expected, maybe a few changes will make it better.
4. I would, however, first ask the teacher if he/she accepts reports in the
pdf format. If yes, OpenOffice.org can export to that format and it always
(as far as I've seen anyway) looks perfect! Also, if yes, you don't need the
Word Viewer. I can see no reason for a "no" answer for accepting pdf. It can
be read with Adobe Reader, which most people have installed anyway, and if
not, it's free and not very large. However, if the teacher needs to be able
to edit your reports, pdf is probably not a good idea.

One more thing: Please answer to the list only. If you get the answers you
need, maybe someone else, who have the same question can see it too. I wrote
to your address since I thought that you were not subscribed to the list.
Unfortunately I can't see that information (as far as I know, anyone else
with gmail who can tell me how to see that?), but since someone else
obviously forwarded one of the replies to your address, I thought that he
could see that you were not subscribed.

Johnny Andersson