In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
   Richard Detwiler <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> I am using OOo 2.2, with Windows XP.

> In the Calc Help, it says the following, in part:

> --------------
> There are various ways to enter integers starting with a zero:

> Enter the number as text. The easiest way is to enter the number
> starting with an apostrophe (for example, '0987). The apostrophe will
> not appear in the cell, and the number will be formatted as text.
> Because it is in text format, however, you cannot calculate with this
> number.
> --------------

> When I type in '0987 (using the key to the right of the semi colon as
> the apostrophe), the apostrophe DOES appear in the cell.

> Does anyone else experience this? Is there a different key I should be
> using as the apostrophe?

If you look in Tools>Autocorrect> Custom Quotes, do you have conversion of
straight quotes to custom quotes set?

If so, when you enter apostrophe+ number into the cell it is changed to
custom quote+number and the quote appears in the cell. Turn the conversion
off, and the number appears on its own

  Richard Travers
  [EMAIL PROTECTED]
  Truro, Cornwall