On 14/04/07, James Knott <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

[EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
>  I am using version 2.2 of OpenOffice.org. My problem is that I cannot
open Microsoft Office 2007 files in the newest version. Is there an OOo
compatibility pack or can someone issue a patch?

As far as I know, it's not yet possible to open those new formats, which
are incompatible with everything else.  You'll have to arrange to have
them saved in the old MS Office formats.

At http://www.linux-watch.com/news/NS5248375481.html it says, among other
interesting things:

"The Open XML/ODF Translator project is hosted on SourceForge, and is
licensed under the BSD open source license. The first component, the ODF
Add-in for Microsoft Word 2007, which allows users to open and save ODF
documents in Word, is now available as a 0.3-M1 beta."

so you might be able to persuade your Word-using colleagues to save in ODF
format for your benefit.

Also, the Novell version of OpenOffice, as indicated in the same web page,
supports the new MS formats. The downside is you have to pay for that
although it's not a lot.

--
Harold Fuchs
London, England