2007/4/15, Brian Barker <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>:

At 15:58 15/04/2007 +0200, Johnny Andersson wrote:
>I tried this:
>0,###" mm"
>I won't need more than 3 decimals.
>
>This actually works, BUT if I enter an integer, say 3, the cell will
show:
>3, mm
>I don't want that comma!
>
>Any suggestions?

If you lose the "mm", then you can get what you need by using ,### as
the format - without the leading zero.  But adding the trailing text
seems to resurrect the comma (well, point, in my case).  Can you use
this and move the "mm" into a separate column?

Brian Barker

Actually 0,### also works as long as there is no text involved, so I don't
have to omit the leading zero.

Yes, I can probably find some workarounds, like the one you suggested (I
have actually done that before), but I think bringing in the "mm"
(millimeter) with the cell formatting seemed to be very convenient, at least
in my specific case. Maybe I also can live with the comma, but since it
works without the text, shouldn't it also work with it? This seems to be an
"is this a bug or not" question.

So without added text in the format code, the comma (or point) appears when
it need to be there and with text, it always appears (as long as I enter a
number). Why is this?

If the behaviour was changed to what I am asking for, would there be any
arguments against it? In that case, what arguments?

Johnny Andersson