Well, time for another question.
I got two desktops (of 4) up and running the latest OpenOffice with no trouble, both Intel-based P4 systems with Windows XP as OS.
Got all the programs in OOo configured, and installed and
configured Thunderbird and Firefox.
So far we're very pleased, and the changeover went almost seamlessly
thanks to all the help from you folks on this list (for which I will be forever grateful). A few minor issues with displaying different types of graphics in e-mails, but I'll get that licked in no time.

Now (sigh) we're looking at migrating from Windows XP to Linux as OS, so for the past three days I have been looking at distributions (distros?) to see what would be the best fit. We've been with Windows a LONG time, and I'm not sure everyone here is capable of dealing with commands, so I've been looking for a distro with a GUI that we can use pretty much "out of the box", like KDE or GNOME. (If any of this doesn't make sense, please let me know...it's like trying to learn a new language in a couple days). I guess you could call us some of those "stupid MS cows"...we just want it to work, we don't necessarily care how it does what it does...not yet, anyway.

So far, I like the "look" of both RedHat and Debian and Ubuntu, but that begs a question of all you experts:

Will OOo work with all of these distributions? (I'm assuming yes?) Or is each version proprietary to it's type (RedHat, Debian, Mandrake, SuSE?) Will I need to reinstall and reconfigure everything once I make the change over to a Linux based OS, or is there some way I can back up what I have spent the last three days doing, and just transfer it over once I nuke and pave the drives on these desktops? (I know that there is a different version of OO for Linux than for Windows, but would there be directories, files or profiles that I could transfer, and ease the migration?) We're on a wired/wireless network, if that matters. All machines will be migrating.

If you prefer one to the other (distro), would you be so kind as to tell me why, or which might work better? Like I said, we've been with Windows a LONG time. My Unix skills are minimal at best (just what I've read at linux.org recently), and my MS-DOS skills are all but forgotten.

(What a way to spend a vacation!)

TIA,
WJ Seidl