On Wednesday 25 April 2007 06:17:13 pm John Jason Jordan wrote:
> In an attempt to fix various problems in OOo I searched in Synaptic on
> "openoffice" did a complete removal of everything installed. I also did
> a complete removal of everything Synaptic showed as residual. Then I
> deleted the .opernoffice.org2 folder in my home folder. My plan was to
> eliminate any vestiges of OOo so that a new, fresh install would start
> out without hangups. Then I installed OOo 2.2 (using the metapackage in
> Synaptic), plus the hyphenation and help files.
>
> When I launched it two things occurred:
>
> 1) It opened in the same window size that I had used before. The Styles
>       toolbar was floating off to the right, as I had used it before.
> 2) All the text in the menus appeared in some kind of symbol font
>
> So the questions are:
>
> 1) If I want all vestiges of it to be gone, what do I have to delete
>       besides the ~/.openoffice.org2 folder?
> 2) Where did that symbol font come from and what possessed OOo to think
>       I would be able to read it?

Look for OOo residual information in your .kde directory.
The reason for the font problem is simple, you did not reinstall the
OpenOffice.org-kde package, and there are some files that may get placed in
the .kde directory where it tracks window placement.

Completely doing away with OOo from the Ubuntu repositories and using alien is
not a good idea.

If you use Ubuntu instead of KDE on Kubuntu install the gnome and gtk .deb
packages and you should be fine.  Once these integration packages are
installed they "integrate" with the desktop system so that some of your
settings for window placement and style is store with Gnome or KDE.

Either way the font situation should be fine once those packages are
re-installed.

You may also want to go to the Ubuntu or Kubuntu user lists and see what folks
there are saying.

--
See Ya'
Howard Coles Jr.