On Sat, 28 Apr 2007 11:42:11 -0400
WJ Seidl wrote:

> Dan Lewis wrote:
> >      But don't we have to be a little careful in using jargon? This
> > seems especially true when there is no obvious meaning to those who
> > do not know what it means. IIRC is another example that I see once
> > in a while. I still have no idea what it means. Besides, these
> > abbreviations were created because of much slower modems. It would
> > be nice to see the actual words once in a while. Assuming the reader
> > knows what our jargon is suppose to mean when there is evidence to
> > the contrary does not make a lot of sense, does it?
> >
> > Dan
> >
> Dan:
> IIRC is "if I remember correctly".  That's a HECK of a lot more
> intuitive than a word with numbers in the middle.
> But what do I know? I've only been at it since 1973.<g>
>
> There is going to be a whole new "language" shorthand if you will
> coming about soon, due to
> the young'uns doing all this text messaging on their phones.  The
> teachers here are already seeing it,
> and (wisely) flunking kids that use it in written papers they hand it.
> SWIM? (see what I mean?)

Here in New Zealand TXT shortcuts are an acceptable form of answering in
some papers. Perhaps the students get a point or two off then the rest
of the paper is marked on it's merits.

It's a granularity issue, ie one of appropriate and acceptable use.

I wonder if you all use "K-12" as an abbreviation without qualms
because it is now in common use in North American schooling. Would you
use it on this list where the term may be unknown to those outside the
USA and Canada?

I wonder if a gardening list has a short way of typing Rhododendrum?

I do not think either appropriate for this list but i do believe they
are all appropriate 'technical' abbreviations in a more specific forum.

MUSING: Do dictionaries stifle the evolution of language, or do they
keep it stable? I guess it is a granularity issue ;)

--
Michael
Linux: The OS people choose without $200,000,000 of persuasion.