Just curious, what version of OpenOffice are you using, and what operating system?

JosephK wrote:
I have a woorkbook with 3 sheets.
Sheet1 holds a lookup table with item descriptions in column 1 and cost prices
in column 2.
Sheet2 holds pure data of invoices generated including items bought
Sheet3 holds the analysis and takes the item description from sheet2, looks it
up in sheet1 and returns a cost price.
(There is a lot more going on but this is the relevant bit)

Most of the lookup returns a correct cost price but some items return N/A
The cost prices are in a named range 'costprices'
VLOOKUP(A123:costprices;2;0) for SOME entries fails but if I substitute the
actual range it returns the correct value
i.e. VLOOKUP(A123;Prices.A1:B234;2;0) succeeds

As to the failed entries e.g SANYO TRC860 returns the correct price
SANYO TRC695 returns N/A

All item descriptions start with the manufacturers name and it is only SANYO
that gives problems.
Items starting with PHILIPS, GRUNDIG, OLYMPUS are no problem

This is driving me nuts trying to find a solution so any aid to my sanity would
be much appreciated