On 11:17 Sun 20 May     , Brian Barker wrote:
> At 10:05 20/05/2007 +0100, JosephK wrote:
> >Is it possible to use the contents of a cell as the column or row index
> >reference in VLOOKUP or HLOOKUP?
>
> A simple test shows that the answer is yes: there is no reason why
> the third "index" parameter of VLOOKUP or HLOOKUP cannot be an
> expression, so it can certainly be a cell reference.  If the relevant
> cell in the record for the customer contains the appropriate column
> number in the price list, what you describe ought to work.
>
> If, as you say, this doesn't work for you, I suppose the most likely
> problem is that you have the syntax of the function reference
> slightly wrong.  Can you perhaps check this?  Is it something as
> simple as a comma in place of a semicolon as parameter
> separator?  Can you construct a miniature version with only a few
> entries on a single sheet and get that to work first - and then
> extend it to the real case?  Failing that, you may like to write back
> to the list with details of the actual result: do you get the wrong
> answer or no answer or an error?  Can you copy the function reference
> into your message?  (Don't send any actual customer information, of course.)

I tried building the formula bit by bit. All the separate parts work
individually but the offset part of the LOOKUP does not seem to accept a
formula as a reference; it needs a string or integer corresponding to
the column header or number. First formula attempt was:
   =VLOOKUP(D2;Prices.$A$1:$D$4;HLOOKUP(C2;Prices.$A$1:$D$4;1))
in cell F2

Customer table:-
    A                   B               C          D         E      F
1 AccountName     CustomerName    PriceList       Item    Price
2 Account1        Apex Trading    PriceList1      Item1          Err:502
3 Account2        Beta Company    PriceList2      Item2          Err:502
4 Account3        Crash Computers PriceList1
5 Account4        Other Company   PriceList3

Prices table:-
      A              B             C                D
1                PriceList1    PriceList2      PriceList3
2   Item1         10               21                19
3   Item2         15               23                25
4   Item3         18               27                34

Also tried wrapping the HLOOKUP in a COL() to get the column number but
the ref bit is always read as a formula and not a number or string

The error I get is Err:502 which is I believe More Than One Result

Regards
--
It is often safer to be in chains than to be free.
Joseph K