Jonathon Coombes wrote:

> On 22/05/2007, at 1:48 AM, Pueblo Native wrote:
>
>> mike scott wrote:

>>> I see where you're coming from, but I have to say the noise:information
>>> ratio here is incredibly high, and getting worse.
>>>
>>> Maybe a tip from the TfL 'oystercard' website could be considered. They
>>> have a general 'ask us a question' facility(*); but having typed in the
>>> question and hit 'submit', it searches an FAQ /first/, gives a short-
>>> list of likely topics, and asks if the question has been answered. You
>>> can't stop someone ignoring this of course, and simply hitting 'No',
>>> but I'm sure it would remove some of the frequent questions, like "does
>>> it run on vista". or "I've bought OOo and want my paid-for support".
>>>

>> There could be that too, and that's a reasonable idea.  But I'm
>> beginning to think that if the noise ratio is getting too high here,
>> maybe we should build some walls. Or more specifically, we build a sound
>> room.
>> Follow this:  supposing we created a mailing list, [EMAIL PROTECTED]
>> frequented by a few people who are open to being the "wizened old souls"
>> and funneled the non subscribed e-mails or the e-mails generated by that
>> "YOU MUST PUT A SUMMARY HERE" form over there.   Anybody who signed up
>> for that list knows what they are getting into (namely, the same old
>> questions that are usually answered by the FAQ).
>
> Don't forget that there is the OOo knowledgebase at
> http://mindmeld.cybersite.com.au as well.
>
> Regards
> Jonathon

There is that.  I'm checking out that site.  So far, the big thing seems
to be that is has a huge drop off from the first response to the rest of
the responses.  I'll give it a thorough look over later on.
I've also wondered, has anybody on OpenOffice been able to do any sort
of study as to the questions that the unmoderated or new posters post,
both in terms of what they are asking and how they are asking the
quesiton.  From my experience in customer service.  9 times it isn't
what they ask as much as it is how they ask.