Hi,

I have just started using OpenOffice, and am having a very frustrating
difficulty that I don't seem to be able to find an answer for in the FAQs.
In the hope you can help, here goes:

If I create a paragraph of text, I seem to be unable to apply a style to
words within the paragraph without it styling the entire paragraph.

For example:

This is a paragraph of text.  This is a paragraph of text.  I want to apply
a style to one individual word HERE.  This is a paragraph of text.  This is
a paragraph of text.  This is a paragraph of text.  This is a paragraph of
text.  This is a paragraph of text.  This is a paragraph of text.

I create a style in the style menu, highlight the word 'HERE' and
double-click the style.  The result is that the style is applied to the
whole paragraph.

Best Wishes, Patrick Skelton