-------- Original Message --------
From: JANE BARNES <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Tue 29 May 2007 06:28:28 EST

> Hello
>
> I'm having a bit of trouble with Open Office.
>
> I recently took some photos in RAW format with my Canon 300D Digital
> camera, downloaded them using my HP Photosmart printer card reader
> and found they had been stored on my computer with the file extension
> .thm which is a configuration file format for Open Office.
>
> 1. I don't understand why Open Office should be the default file
> format for RAW digital photos, and 2. I am now unable to convert
> these photos or edit them using Adobe Lightroom or Photoshop as
> neither recognises the file format .thm.
>
> I've tried to change the format using the properties option when I
> right click but it makes no difference.
>
> Can you help please?
>
> Regards
>
> Jane

I don't think your issue is directly related to OOo (OpenOffice.org),
since after the installation process it does not make any changes to
Windows file associations and even during that process it would not
modify image file associations.

What makes you think that the ".thm" extension has anything to do with
the current version of OOo? To the best of my knowledge OOo does not use
this extension. If I remember correctly, the 300D uses the ".CR2" or
".CRW" extensions for it's raw format file identification. Could this be
the Canon thumbnail image of your pictures? Have you tried making a copy
of one of these ".thm" files, renaming it to something like "_test.cr2"
and try to open in PS?

If you wish, you can email me (directly to [EMAIL PROTECTED]) a copy of one
of these files and I will take a look at it's internal structure and
tell you if it is a genuine Canon RAW format or not. (PLEASE DO NOT
email the file to this list, attachments are removed and if it did get
through, other subscribers do not want multi-megabyte files turning up
in their inboxes)

Hope this helps.

Dave