Mike Reeves wrote:
> I'll get to the point.  I'm looking for a solution for my company that does
> not invovle spending tons of money on Microsoft Office licensing.  I was
> wondering if it was possible to transfer over to OpenOffice fairly easily.
>
> You see, the business I work for is constantly growing and we're always
> having to buy new MS Office Licenses... well we were wondering if OpenOffice
> could be a new solution to that.

It could be a new situation, but you still have to plan to keep costs down.
There are some differences, obviously, but perhaps the biggest challenge
is in convincing your workers that they have the knowledge to make the
leap.  I've found a lot of people freak out over things that are very
similar to how things are done in MS Office.  Save is save, open is
open, and print is print.  This seems a little ridiculous to me--imagine
if you had to take a driving course every time you switched cars--but
it's the way some handle it.

There are a couple of files that might make the switch easier:
http://documentation.openoffice.org/HOW_TO/various_topics/VbaStarBasicXref.pdf
VBA to StarBasic conversion guide (for any macros you may have)
http://documentation.openoffice.org/ (documentation site).  Keep this
bookmarked and make this the first place to search for answers.

You also probably should be aware of the MS Office programs that
OpenOffice does not carry a direct alternative for.  OpenOffice Writer
has many of the same functions that Publisher, Microsoft's DTP software
does.
    On the other hand, you have to go outside of OpenOffice for an
e-mail client.  Thunderbird is one option; Evolution for Windows
(http://shellter.sourceforge.net/evolution/ has an installer) another.
Both have their advantages; Thunderbird is more matured than Evolution,
even though Evolution is more ideal if you have a lot of Outlook power
users.