From: Dan Lewis <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: users@openoffice.org
CC: "me 1004" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: [users] Open Office compatibility with MS Office for Mac
Date: Tue, 19 Jun 2007 16:22:55 -0500

On Tuesday June  19 2007 1:38 pm, me 1004 wrote:
 > My friend is using your current Open Office. Yesterday, we
 > discovered the files from it do NOT seem to be compatible with MS
 > Office 2001 for Mac -- and possibly not with any MS Office.
 >
 > Yes, we saved the Writer file as MS Word for Win ME-2000-XP -- but
 > the file still could not be opened in MS Word 2001 for Mac.
 >
 > We also tried opening a Open Office Presentations file in MS
 > PowerPoint 2001 for Mac, but it would not open.
 >
 > What is wrong, what can we do? Is this incompatibiilty also
 > happening on Windows machines? MS Office for both Mac and Windows
 > are supposed to open the same formats, so I have to think if we
 > can't open these files in the Mac version, we also won't be able to
 > open them in the Windows version.
 >
 > Lastly, is there any way to set the Save function to automatically
 > default to MS Word for Win ME-2000-XP -- as it is a pain in the
 > neck to try to remember that each and every time.
 >
 > Thank you.

     How did you try to save the file? Did you make sure that for
documents the File type was Microsoft Word 97/2000/XP (.doc) and for
slide shows the File type was Microsoft PowerPoint 97/2000/XP (.ppt)?
Was the little box labeled "Automatic file name extension" checked at
the bottom of the Save As window?

Dan

Try saving in an older version of MS Office.

My wife worked for a company that used Macs and had MS Office on it. There were issues moving MS Office files between Mac and Windows machines. Once the company moved to OpenOffice, most of the issues disappeared. Of course others and myself have had issues moving MS Office files between different Windows machines.

It may be necessary to submit a bug on this issue.

--
Due to the move to M$ Exchange Server,
   anything that is a priority, please phone.