Hi again,
It appears that this still won't give you what you want. If you search for Peter$ and replace it with xxx, the paragraph break remains. You could replace all paragraph breaks with some letter combination not used in you file:

with regular expressions turned on
search for = $
replace with = xx99xx

Then search for your specific letters followed by xx99xx and replace them with the semi-colon and space. Then search for xx99xx and replace it with a paragraph break (\n).

Anthony Chilco wrote:
Hi Ed,
 From the list of regular expressions in help:

$
Only finds the search term if the term appears at the end of a paragraph. Special objects such as empty fields or character-anchored frames at the end of a paragraph are ignored. Example: "Peter$".

tc

Ed Smits wrote:
I'm trying to do a selective Search & Replace for specific letters
followed by a paragraph break and replace them with a semi-colon and
space and have come up dry. The OO Help on Regular Expressions doesn't
show it, I found how to use AutoFormat to get rid of them all, but a
selective replacement is a problem. In MS Office it's "^p", is there a
similar expression in OpenOffice? I'm assuming there is, this is
something I use a lot in Word.

Thanks in advance

ED