Paul wrote:

The linux guru (Brendan) that does things that are beyond me said that it
was an automatic update that somehow altered the password, and that I need to determine which oo update has this bug in it. If you folks get a report
of this please forward it. I would appreciate it.
Thanks in advance.
~

So is the password that you are trying to recover from the website or a
document created using OOo? If it is the website, then I can offer no more
assistance.

If it is for a document that was created using OOo, then I can confirm that
a password protected document created by an earlier version of OOo will
still be able to be opened (with the correct password of course) by a later
version of OOo. I've done that many times myself on various platforms (ie,
created a password protected document on windows, and opened it successfully
on linux).

Speaking of OOo udpates. OOo does not update incrementally... In other words there is no small 'patches' that are applied periodically to OOo. OOo makes releases of new versions, but to use this new version the entire version has
to be downloaded and installed (~90MB ususally).

If you are speaking of OOo updates that may be applied to an Ubuntuuised
version of OOo, then I would recommend you jump into an Ubuntu forum and ask
if they have had similar problems.

Unsure if this helps but reply to the list if you have any further
queries...

/paul

I have not followed this whole thread but I would remove and re-install OOo from OpenOffice.org web site if you have issues with the program. Of course if you are using Ubuntu, you can use the Ubuntu version of OpenOffice.

More details will help in solving your problems.

--
Due to the move to M$ Exchange Server,
   anything that is a priority, please phone.