On Sun, 24 Jun 2007 02:02:41 -0700
John R. Sowden wrote:

*** SNIP ***

> IBM blessed us with a standard computer design, which has evolved over
> the years without radical changes, therefore the PC of 10 years ago
> with respect to the ones of today are very similiar: less  memory,
> less speed, less I/O.
>
> In the name of recycling, we should be able to use these computers, in
> a similiar capacity, just with fewer software features.
> Unfortunately, although much is said about using Linux on older
> computers, Linux is requiring more and more memory and speed.  Fewer
> of these computers would be destoyed, instead they would be 'reused'.

http://www.ltsp.org/
To Quote paragraph 2:
"Shiny new thin-clients and legacy PCs alike can be used to browse the
Web, send e-mail, create documents, and run other desktop applications."

What is needed is a serious backbone of support for this type of thing.

*** SNIP ***

--
Michael
Linux: The OS people choose without $200,000,000 of persuasion.