At 23:21 12/07/2007 -0400, Peter Abbott wrote:
I have a file of email addresses, one per line.

I thought that if I changed the file type to CSV and open it with scalc,
I could somehow filter out the ones with hotmail.com and msn.com, but I
haven't been able to configure the filter to do this.

Can anyone help? Thanks.

Is the original file a text document in Writer? It is probably easiest to make the changes there. Were the original lines separated by pressing Enter - in other words, are they actually separate paragraphs in Writer terms? I assume so. And by "filter out" you mean you want them deleted?

o  Use Edit | Find & Replace... to open the Find & Replace dialogue box.
o  Click on "More options" and put a tick by "Regular expressions".
o In the "Search for" box, enter: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Here, the leading dot means "any character" and the asterisk means "any number of those", so the string matches anything followed by the "@hotmail.com". Leave "Replace with" empty.)
o  Replace All.
o  Repeat with [EMAIL PROTECTED]
o To remove the blank lines, now search for ^$ and replace with nothing. (^ means the start of a paragraph and $ the end, so ^$ is an empty paragraph.)

I trust this helps.

Brian Barker