At 15:32 16/07/2007 +0100, Mary Keynes wrote:
I have just downloaded Open Office 2.2. After I had finished a message I did not understand appeared on my screen, asking me if I wanted to save or run an unknown file. I ran it. I now cannot open Writer, and receive a message saying "this action is only valid for products that are currently installed". I guess I must have uninstalled Writer. How can I re-install it?

How are you trying to start Writer? You appear to be using Windows. The Start menu items and the program files themselves for version 2.2 will, I think, each be in different directories from those they were in for previous versions. So I'm guessing that you have perhaps created a desktop shortcut to your old version of OpenOffice, and - since the installation of 2.2 will have removed the earlier version - this shortcut now leads nowhere.

Can you start OpenOffice from the programs menus in the normal way (Start | All Programs > | OpenOffice.org 2.2 ...)? If you double-click on an existing Writer document, does this open Writer? If so, delete your existing shortcut and create a new one for the new installation if required. If not, the problem is something else.

I trust this helps.

Brian Barker