Thanks for the attempts at help so far! My mistake was that I forgot to mention that we need bookmarks created when exporting the PDF.

OOo creates PDFs with hotlinking... ie clickable cross-references and TOCs. Acrobat can do that in combination with Word (via some nasty VBA macros), but in my knowledge/experience, this is NOT possible with any other products, including OpenOffice + Acrobat. I've just tried it with OOo + Acrobat 5.0 (old as the hills, I know), but I can only get a printable PDF, not a clickable wizz-bang version such as OOo typically provides! :-)

- Naomi