Séamas Ó Brógáin wrote:
Here's another interesting question that someone may have an answer to.

Using Openoffice (on Open SUSE Linux), if I sort a list that contains the words "apple" and "Apple," the word with the lower-case initial comes first (as I want it to do). If I sort the same list again without changing anything, the positions are reversed. If I sort it again, they're reversed again . . . and so on.

Any enlightenment gratefull received.

Séamas Ó Brógáin

I think what you are seeing is simply a side effect of the way the particular sort has been implemented. The algorithm is regarding the two spellings as equal so which is output first is irrelevant and depends on which was read first. Try putting 1/2 dozen or so of each "spelling" spread randomly through a list of other words and then trying the sort a few times. The order will be unpredictable.

I think that if you want all the lower case apples first you need to check the "Match case" box.

--
Harold Fuchs
London, England