Unless we use A\\ accent in AutoCorrect. How challenging is that? For myself, I
use A\\ (as well as several other letters, such as SA, SE, SN for Spanish and
FC for the French cedilla) to trigger AutoCorrect, since I use a lot of accent
marks in different languages. I use the backslash instead of the forward slash
so as not to get confused with regular expressions. For example: I use E\\ to
call Alt+0233, which occurs in several languages. I use the first letter of the
language before the letter to keep my C accent marks separate for French and
Croatian/Serbian. If there are two accent marks applied to a single letter,
such as the E in French which can have a grave or acute accent, then I simply
double the letter, e.g. FE\\ for an e with an acute accent and FEE\\ for an e
with a grave accent.

Alec McAllister <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> [...]
{SNIP}
> That's absolutely brilliant! Why haven't you made pots of
> money selling it to Bill Gates; or pots of fame giving it to
> the Open Source folk ???

To quote Dr. Johnson: "Ignorance, sir, pure ignorance". Anyway, it's only a
keyboard mapping, not a cure for cancer.

> Just out of curiosity [ luckily I'm not a cat ;-) ] why did
> you choose not to use the Alt Gr key for things like acute
> and grave accents as well as inverted punctuation, cedillas,
> tildes etc. ?

Some applications earmark some of those combinations of keys for their own
purposes, and won't let them go at run time, so some mappings wouldn't work
with those applications.

Using combinations involving Alt-Gr, Ctrl, etc involves pressing two or more
keys at once: "playing chords". That approach is used in some of Microsoft's
own keyboards — Greek Polytonic is the clearest example — and it works, but
it can get very clumsy, and it's very difficult to remember which combination
represents which character.

My idea with UK Enhanced and the other keyboards of that family is, whenever
possible, to use a single (preferably memorable) dead key for a single accent,
e.g., to produce A-acute you press the forward-slash key (which looks like an
acute accent), then press the A key.

It would be nicer if we could type the accent after the character that it
modifies, which is how we write them, but that is too much of a programming
challenge.

Alec

> Harold Fuchs
> London, England