On 03/08/07, Adrian Try <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> > Adrian Try wrote:
> >> Sharing files is the job of the operating system, not the office suite,
> >> so what worked before for Excel should now be working for Calc. The
> >> only difference is that Calc will not allow more than one user at a
> >> time to open the file.
>
> Harold Fuchs <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> > Erm. Seems to me that the above is a contradiction in terms. Either it's
> > the OS's job in which case Calc doesn't care or Calc cares and has
> > arrogated the OS's job.
>
> It's the OS's job in which case Calc doesn't care, unlike Excel which
> tries to do some of the work.

But Calc apparently *does* care: "... Calc will not allow more than one user
at a time to open the file." - your words. So, just like Excel, Calc is
doing some of the work; the work it's doing is actively to reduce the
functionality provided by the OS. IMHO that's *worse* than Excel.

--
Harold Fuchs
London, England