Harold
Thank you so much fro your informative reply to my plea for help, I truly appreciate it. I will look into those avenues you suggested. I appear to have some work to occupy me for the weekend! should all else fail, I will buy the CD, but for now, I think I will learn more about Windows installer.

Thanks Again
Dave

Harold Fuchs wrote:
Dave Stone wrote:
After unpacking the installation folders, the installer quits, displaying this message:

"The Windows Installer Service could not be accessed. This can occur if running Windows in safe mode, or if the Windows Installer is not correctly installed. Contact your support personnel for assistance"

Consider yourself contacted!

Thanks

First ensure that your Antivirus (AV) & firewall software is turned off during installation. Please disconnect your computer completely from the internet before turning off your firewall and/or AV software and don't reconnect till they are both running properly again. Never leave your computer unprotected when it is connected to the net.

If that fails please try the software described at http://support.microsoft.com/kb/290301 to clean your system's registry; a corrupt registry is often the cause of installation errors.

If that doesn't help check that the file you downloaded is not corrupt.
To do this, use the MD5sum checking procedure described at http://www.openoffice.org/dev_docs/using_md5sums.html The relevant correct values are at http://download.openoffice.org/2.2.1/md5sums.html

If that doesn't help, you can buy OpenOffice on CD from any of the vendors listed on a page linked to from the download page. Expect to pay not much more than USD/GBP 10 to cover the cost of producing the CD plus P&P. Please note that we are not affiliated to any of these vendors and that we provide no recommendations or guarantees. Alternatively, OpenOffice is included on many of the CDs/DVDs that come free with computer magazines; just ensure you choose a version that's compatible with your Operating System.