2007/8/8, F Goodchild <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>:
> I am a bit confused - I s it being suggested that as a Mac user I
> would be better to remove Mac Openoffice and install a java based
> one. If so which one is it.
>
> I could see 2 Linux & Solaris editions on the download page - which
> is the Java edition?
>
> I am using a Mac Powerbook with OS 10.4
>
> I would not want o have versions of Openoffice on my machine because
> of space.
>
> Please advise
>
> Frances
<snip>

Maybe the first one to answer you wanted to suggest you switch to
NeoOffice, a sidepath ('fork' is the term) of the OpenOffice.org
development. It copies OOo (which is perfectly legit) on a Java base
and doesn't need X11. I wouldn't advise this switch since
1) Neo is always one or more versions behind OOo (and things develop
fast now, so you lose out on new possibilities OOo offers)
2) the Aqua version of OOo is well under way, making Neo rather
obsolete in the near future

It's true that OOo isn't exactly 'small', I guess it takes about half
a Giga on my iMac... but then Apple is always rather generous with
hard disk space. My PowerBook has 75 GB or so... If you need to look
out how you use your HD space, I'd rather put heavy files (films,
photos, etc.) on external devices like USB sticks, CD-RW, DVD,
external hard disks (or even iDisk, now upgraded to 10 GB, and
Google).

HTH
--
Guy
using dutch OOo 2.3 m221 on a iMac Intel DualCore Tiger