2007/8/14, olin thompson <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>:

> NoOp <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:    On 08/13/2007 06:10 AM, olin thompson
> wrote:
> > I downloaded this OpenOffice.org because my publisher uses the
> > program and doesn't like to shift between MSWord and his OO.o. So,
> > I'm writing this book and it goes along fine. Your program saves
> > every few minutes or so and I'm happy with that. HOWEVER, when I get
> > up to go "do" something, I'm used to Save or Save as so I don't worry
> > about my work if something shuts down. I came back to my pages
> > yesterday after a WHOLE DAY of corrections and attempted a Save and
> > up jumps this window, tiny one at that, saying Error Saving document
> > and below that these two little killer notes: write error and error
> > writing file. WTH is going on? I'm sick to death this could cost me
> > several day's work at correcting a manuscript which I've worked on
> > for over 5 years. WHAT? 0
> >

> Two things first: 1) what operating system are you using, 2) what
> version of OOo are you using? Windows XP and the latest OOo as I just
> downloaded on Monday last week. ALL WEEK I HAD NO PROBLEM
>   until yesterday.
>
> Suggestion: try to do a "Save As" and see if it will save as a MS Word
> document. Also try to do a "Save As" as an OOo document (.odt) using a
> different file name. I suspect that somewhere along the line that file
> locking has kicked in.When I do the save or save as I get that error
> message
>   I'm going to select all, copy and paste and go back to MS Word where
> I've NEVER had this or any sort of problem. I only went to OOo because my
> publisher has it for some reason.
>
> cc'd to Olin. Please *only* reply to users@openoffice.org
>

> It doesn't seem like you want to solve the problem. However, just in case
I'm wrong, if a file is still in use, I guess there would be an error
message when trying to save as its name. Maybe you have two
OpenOffice.orgsessions running, one with the saved file open and the
other with which you
are trying to save the corrected file to the same file name as the "old"
one?

And you also mentioned that the only reason for you to install
OpenOffice.org is that your publisher has it. However, you don't need it
just because he has it. If you use Office 2007, just save your files as
*.doc, and your publisher will be able to open them with his OpenOffice.org.
If you don't use any complicated stuff in your documents, he will probably
even be able to see your documents looking almost exactly like what they
look like in Word. Or you can save as PDF in Word (maybe you need a plugin
for that, I don't know since I didn't use Word for a very long time), if
your publisher isn't going to edit your documents.

J.R.