jack wallen wrote:
On Wed, August 15, 2007 1:59 pm, Harold Fuchs wrote:
You can refer to different sheets by preceding the usual cell reference
with a sheet name so, for example, "Sheet1.A1" refers to cell A1 in the
sheet named "Sheet1". When you start a new spread sheet the sheets are
named "Sheet1", "Sheet2" and "Sheet3" unless you've done something to
change this. You can rename a sheet by *right* clicking its tab and
entering a new name. If you name a sheet "Products" then you'd refer to
"Products.A1".

Sheets are named automatically and their names change if you rename
them. You can also name rows and/or columns but you have to tell Calc
you are doing it. Read about Names in the Help for more details. Using
Names is very useful as (a) you don't have to remember row/column
numbers, (b) Calc will automatically adjust things if you insert/delete
rows columns providing the names stay the same and (c) you can more
easily teach non- technical users to use names than to use row/column
numbers.

Hope this helps.

--
Harold Fuchs
London, England

thank you Harold.

i'm actually aware of the ability to reference other sheets. but what i
can't figure out is how to do the same type of referencing when you're
user is selecting from a drop-down list (created from the Validity tool).
it seems in the Validity tool all i can do is enter the names. i would
like to give each entry a value or variable name so that any time that
variable X is selected, say on sheet Inventory Sold it subtracts 1 from
that products (the product that variable X represents) inventory sheet.

So 1 unit of Product A (from Sheet A) is sold. it is recorded on Sheet B
by selecting "Product A" from the drop-down list on Sheet B under Produts.
When that is selected it would automatically deduct 1 from the total
inventory listed in Product A from Sheet A.

make sense?

stylist
Hair Strobel
you need my hair-fu